Friday, January 13, 2012

Velvety Goodness......

Tonight we were invited to dinner.... So I asked "what can I bring?" answer... Something sweet.. This is totally up my ally... So I asked the husband what I should make.. He said Red Velvet cake.

He has been trying to get me to make him a Red Velvet cake for... Well it seems like years! But I have been dead set against it because of the amount of Red dye that it calls for... I mean 2 ounces ... 1 whole bottle of red.. And why? To turn a cake red... I don't know, maybe I am missing something..... I told him I would make it if I could change the color... And not use so much dye.


Research began on Red Velvet Recipes... That I would soon turn Purple! Yes purple! I used my gel colors, the ones I use for frosting, and only about 1/4 teaspoon. That seemed much better to me... Still fun... Less fake color.

I found so many different recipes on the right way to make red velvet... I didn't know there was a vinegar and baking soda science experiment involved.... But boy did Nate get a kick out of it! Finally decided on a mixture of two recipes and my own for the cream cheese frosting.

It was sooo good....and I would totally make it again!




Photo by Dana Morand

3 comments:

  1. do you have links to the two recipes you used? that cake looks awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any links, but on the post red velvet redo, I give you the recipe ;)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete