Thursday, January 19, 2012

Cake Glorious Cake.....

I love decorating cakes... I find it to be so much fun and very relaxing! So, when I get an opportunity to make a cake... I dive right in and just have fun with it.

My brother always asks for me to bake him something. That shouldn't be hard.. Right? Well.. It kind of is when he lives on the other side of the country. Not so easy to make, decorate and then ship a cake! So... When we knew he was coming this way I surprised him with a cake.




I made him a sour cream vanilla cake, with carmel buttercream filling and marshmallow fondant. As you can see, this is my first attempt of the Death Star! So much fun to make.. I have to figure out what to make him next!



This next cake, I made for my dads birthday... He wanted a Viking Ship... I had no clue where to start.. But I finally figured out that I wanted to make his ship.... And make it edible. So.... I shaped it with rice crispy treats, covered it with chocolate fondant boards... Then, made the sail and shields out of edible sugar paper. Now if I had really thought things thru, I would have scaled it down a bit... But that's ok... It makes it fun being so big!





The cake itself was delicious! Carrot cake with maple cream cheese frosting. I used 2 different carrot cake recipes... Took my favorite parts of both, then slathered it with not too sweet frosting!







The last cake to be shown today is the one I got to make for my 7 year old niece. What a fun cake.... When I told her I was going to make her cake, she got really excited. I told her to think about what she wanted.... and she did... So much so she sent me a picture of what she wanted. This picture had a mermaid, starfish, water and a turtle... She also wanted some sand.. So.. I did it... With some help from the gummy section of the candy store.....





We had a vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream... Made a beach out of crushed gram crackers and rocks from rock candy. Handmade white chocolate shells.. Gummy fish, shark, octopus, dolphins, turtle... Starfish!

I really love how the cakes make people happy... Not from the sugar high from eating them, but from the joy of looking at them.

1 comment:

  1. you are so talented emily! love your cakes! and its true....it really is such a joy to see the enjoyment people get looking at a cake you made for them!

    ReplyDelete