Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Sleep? Maybe.....

So, last night all I could think about was what to put on the this thing.... Boy did my mind race! So many things... Where to start....

I am always worried about what's for dinner... Needs to be easy healthy and delicious ... Both for kids and adults. I love one pot comfort food... The easier the better.

Here is one recipe that I have found and adapted for the family. The kids devoured it!

Thai coconut Curry -one pot-

Ingredients
1tbl olive oil
1lb chicken breast (tenders work best... Since I cut bite sized)
Salt and pepper to taste
1can 14oz coconut milk (lite works too if watching fat intake)
1 1/2 cups of chicken broth
1/2 cup water
1 - 2 tsp Red curry paste
2 red peppers cut into 1/2 -1inch piecses
12 oz of green beans (if fresh- cut into 1inch pieces... But frozen cut work fine as well)
Cereal bowl full of frozen cut (I use crinkle for the kids) carrots (not thawed)
1 cup jasmine rice

- in a 5 quart Dutch oven, or heavy bottom pot. Heat oil on med high heat. Salt and pepper chicken pieces. In two batches, brown chicken, but do not cook thru. Take out and reserve on plate.
-to the hot pot, add coconut milk, stock, water and curry paste. Stir To make sure curry paste has been incorporated. Bring to a boil. Stir in rice, place chicken on top of rice with all juices. Add frozen carrots. Bring back to boil. Put top on and reduce heat to med/low. Cook for 15 min.
-take lid off, stir then add peppers and beans... Replace lid cook for 8-10 min stirring occasionally until veggies are crisp tender. I think next time I make this I will put beans in first, then add peppers after 4 min... They got a little mushy... But still delicious!

Enjoy :)

5 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I am also all about the one pot easy meals for husband and baby. Thanks for the inspiration Emily!

    - Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, can't wait to make this. Can I ask, are red curry paste and coconut milk items you frequently have in the kitchen or are they a specialty buy for this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny... I have the red curry paste on hand usually cause it lasts in the fridge... Coconut milk usually not... But I should :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I forgot to tell you that we made this about a month ago and loved it! I couldn't get the kids to try it, but they don't like trying anything new. We are definitely making this again! Thanks so much for sharing it. I hope to make your Black Bean Soup soon, too!

    ReplyDelete